Summer has Arrived!
It is definitely now summer in Shanghai. The weather is sooooo hot and muggy. It really makes you very lazy. The slightest movement and your whole body will be covered in sweat.
I think because it is so hot I have really been craving watermelon. But it has happened to me twice now. I guess it's because I can't read the sign. But a watermelon is a watermelon right? The only difference is w/ seeds or without seeds. So last week I bought a little (football sized) watermelon. Had bought one, at the same store, that looked just like it (at least on the outside) a few days ago that was really good. But I cut into it and its YELLOW! Tasted alright, but I think the flavor of the red watermelon is better. The second time, I went to the grocery store and thought I would try a regular round basket ball-shaped one, I thought this time it has to be a red inside. But I cut into it again and it is still yellow. My friend Emma, came over and she told me the name of this type of watermelon. Something with 凤. So I know what to look out for next time.
YELLOW WATERMELON
It is so hot lately, that I don't have the energy to walk around and go shopping. And it is really hot in the apartment. Trying to save some money on the power bill and holding off on turning on the AC. Lately just been taking a short walk to the park and finding a shady spot to rest. Last week I was with Yan and we went to People's Park by People's Square. It was really funny. Right when you walk in you see a lot of older middle-aged women sitting around. At first I thought maybe they are just waiting for the music to start to start dancing. Which I have gotten used to seeing. But when you take a closer look they are all holding a sheet of paper or have a sheet of paper clipped to their bags with a big 男 or 女 at the top. Yan figured out what was going on, since she had seen something about it on the news. They are all looking for husbands or wives for their kids. The "ads" are quite interesting. Some have pictures, most say the persons height, weight, college major, current salary. And some have a list of requirements for their partners, minimum salary, minimum sq. ft. of apartment, age range, etc. And as you walk into the park there are even more people with the same thing. I was quite amazed how many people where there, then we turned the corner and there was even more. It really funny, some parents are taking notes, some people are "advertising" them sells. Can't say I agree with it but it was "非常热闹"。Wish I had my camera.
On Sunday went to the Zhongshan Park with Emma. Went in from the back entrance, and found a really nice shady spot for a picnic. It was really nice, had roses to the right of us, butterflies flying around and peach tree above us. Really peaceful. A little later you can hear people singing in the park, with loud speakers and everything. I think we were a bit further away. So you can hear and enjoy, but it wasn't disturbing.
Emma at Zhongshan Park (notice our nice little picnic)
ME!
Emma stayed over the other day. And she made a bunch of really great dishes. An amazing fish stuffed with pork. I think it was the nicest fish I have ever had. She is a natural chef. Just watches her dad or aunt cook and tries to make it at my place. Here is a picture of some jiaozi she made. I think they look quite professional. And they were delicious too.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home